She is a lady about town and you will never miss her once you meet her! A friend of mine and a wonderful supporter of our cities local talent. You will find her at Ruth Chris, in the evenings, chatting with friends or surrounded by her wonderful family. Take a look at some of Deborah’s favorite Indy hot spots!
1. What part of Indy do you live in? I live with my husband, P.A. Nilhagen, on the northside at the bustling 86th and keystone quadrant, at the newest and trendiest hotspot called IRONWORKS. and we are sitting on top of the world.. !!!!
2. What is our cities “hidden gem”? We are a city of HOMES!!! We are fortunate to have some of the most historical and distinguished homes in our great city. We have some very talented architects, designers, and builders.I am very proud to be a part of this aspect of our city as i have served in the residential real estate community for over 23 years.
3. What is your favorite restaurant? Since I currently live on the city’s northside, and at this stage of life, convenience is an important aspect of our quality of life.. we just take an elevator downstairs to our cozy little second kitchen.. SANGIOVESE. that happens to be one of our city’s best Italian restaurants thanks to the owner Chris Evans.. who makes this establishment possible. and he will make sure you can always get a table .. i do have a second favorite which is also close by.. LATE HARVEST KITCHEN with Chef and owner Ryan Nelson who also has developed one our city’s best eateries.. Lucky us..
We are restaurant junkies and love going out and testing all the newest hot spots no matter the location.. We support the LOCALS and are so proud that some of the award winning establishments are in the downtown areas. I feel we are an underrated city of eateries..We just are minus some of the great views that some of the major cities are fortunate to enjoy.. Yet Indy continues to make the magic happen no matter what..
4. Where is your favorite place to take an out-of-town guest? Some of my favorite places to show off Indy is in the the metropolitan downtown areas, with our amazing sporting facilities, restaurants, hotels, museums, historical districts that are being gentrified, our northside Carmel City Center thanks to Mayor Brained and the great developers,the old established firms such as Meridian Kessler, Butler Tarkington and Fountain Square and Fletcher Place and the most popular and trendy Mass Avenue. Our cities motto.. LIVE WORK AND PLAY!!!! and EDUCATE.. Our city’s universities are becoming the pride of this great Hoosier state.. I amazed at the devotion and support from private and public sectors to make this city a major player in the College arena.The best is yet to come..
5. Where is the best place to grab a cocktail? I think one of the best places to grab a cocktail is also an elevator ride down to RUTH CHRIS at the IRONWORKS. I know first hand to get a seat in the house you need to arrive atleast by 430 pm as the restaurant and bar area are usually packed by 630 pm.. If you dont have a reservation, no matter where you live or who you are, there is not a table to be had..the good news is when the Ruth Chris patio is open it is the best place in town for cocktails and live music..great ambiance. My other fav for a quiet cocktail is HARRY AND IZZYS’S Northside.. I always support this establishment as the original owner Harry Roth was a dear friend of mine from many days gone by. and the original owner of St. Elmo’s Steakhouse where Harry had my picture hanging with pride as a young 20 year old model from Wm H Block and Company…and once again the cozy and cool bar area at my second kitchen, Sangiovese. rocks my world.
6. Where is a great place to pick up a unique gift? I am a Boutique Junkie when it comes to shopping It is difficult to name any particular boutique. I am all about supporting the local neighborhood boutiques in the broad ripple, meridian kessler, mass avenue, fountain square, carmel, and the keystone crossing fashion mall areas. Shops are popping up all the time throughout the city..
7. Where can you get the best cup of coffee? The best place to meet for a coffee whether personally or professionally for me is STARBUCKS. since we have one on every corner. So convenient and cozy for great conversation . My new favorite is Tina’s Tearoom as you experience an authentic taste of Great Britain right here in our own back yard in carmel..
8. What is your favorite part about living in Indy? My favorite part of Indy .. I could literally write a book about our great city. I have lived here for over 68 years now and am one of the very few authentic Hoosiers who still call Indy HOME.. I have had the honor to watch our city grow in leaps and bounds over 6 decades.. Can you imagine!!! A perfect example is my grandparents started their business on park avenue off of the currently trendy and popular mass avenue in the 1920’s.. Making the first pair of silk hosiery and silk parachutes for the war. REAL SIK HOSIERY. and now many decades later it is considered one of our downtowns best places to live as the factory itself was converted into lofts , REAL SILK LOFTS. i have a long line of family heritage that has contributed to the growth of this city over 100 years..My fathers family business is well over 100 years old now and walked the streets of south new jersey and virginia avenue and now one of the biggest insurance companies is headquartered a few steps away.. Oh the stories are endless. Yet are deeply planted in my heart and soul.. The absolute pride of our city is that corporate america has chosen to remain here when they could be located anywhere in the world.. The best news, they keep on coming and filling our office parks and downtown high rises..and the world of technology is finding that relocating to Indy both personally and professionally is both cost effective and presents a higher quality of life that is superior to other parts of the world
9. Who is your favorite Indy based artist, designer, writer or blogger? I am an advocate of the art, design and fashion industry right here in our great city. We have so many talented people in the world like the internationally acclaimed Walter Knabe, Constance Scopoletis, Beatriz Artist to name but a few.. Some of the local talent that i predict will be seen on the runways of new york or milan or paris.. nikki blaine, yemisi sanni, and truen james, many talented designers and stylists i have worked with personally have such a bright future.. like danisha green, dlang ferguson, carissa lancaster and lee wang .With regard to fashion and art in interior design in our city we are so fortunate to have some of the grand established firms like Barry Lantz and Stephen Taylor and White Lily Interiors featuring Cathy Clark. Blogging a new wave of our communication world which is exciting to me personally as three of my favorite people personally and professionally top the charts.. Preppy Guide to Life with yours truly Madison Hromadka, The Red’s Shoe Diaries with Jody DeFord, and Kimann Schultz and her Trendy wendy mini series with the Huffington Post.. The three publications in the city that do such a great job with fashion and art and design as they communicate through their pages are Sophisticated Living, Pattern and Indianapolis Monthly..
10. What would you like to see next for our city? The new main attraction to our city needs to be DESTINATION DOWNTOWN. a fabulous shopping mecca with all kinds of designer and unique places to be and a safe environment for all who covet the streets and neighborhoods. A walking capital and a great new mass rapid transit system connecting every part of our city.. We are no longer indianoplace .. I am proud to say we have arrived.. We are Indiasomeplace..!!!!LIVE WORK AND PLAY!!!!
We hope this inspires you to try new experiences in our little slice of the midwest!
xoxoxo, Preppy Girl